Thursday, November 9, 2017

My Postmodern Piece

For my Postmodern piece, I was working off of a quote that I used to inspire the arr. The quote reads, "There is nothing funny about Halloween. This sarcastic festival reflects, rather, an infernal demand for revenge by children on the adult world." When first reading this quote it seemed strange to me. It was such a bleak look at what is supposed to be a fun-loving holiday. Yes, Halloween has a dark connotation to it, but for the most part it is a fun day for kids everywhere. I took this quote and worked the dark aspect of my art to show the spooky and creepy part of Halloween.

I took the body of fully grown men and put enlarged heads of babies on them. This was just to show how the kids are taking over through the accepted practice of dressing up in a costume or disguise in this case. The babies are dressed and places at the top of the page in a large image to show their dominance. Then I showed strings coming from the bottom of the image in a puppet master fashion. Attached to the bottom of the strings are human figures meant to represent adults who are being controlled by there children. At the very bottom of the page, we see a city setting that is supposed to represent normal life for an adult. We see how the kids are getting revenge on the adults by controlling them in the real world. The adults are usually the ones giving the orders, but on Haloween, the kids get their chance to be whoever they want to be and give out any orders they please.

The colors used in this piece are not necessarily close to one another which helps the images to pop, but there is a pattern of colors used. Black, white, and red are the colors that are repeated constantly throughout the image and it gives it a certain rhythm that keeps you moving throughout the entire piece. There is a mix of different cultures and traditions in a postmodern fashion and I think it represents the quote well.

No comments:

Post a Comment